How to install optional software preset packs for third party VST instruments
This article explains how to install free optional plug-in presets that we offer for third party VST instruments.
- Please note that in order to use our free presets, you have to own the respective third-party plug-in. Lié does not include any license for a third-party synth except for the free UVI Workstation.
- If the third-party plug-in is a new purchase of yours, and it was installed after you installed Lié, then you will need to trigger a new plug-in scan within Lié. Otherwise, your new synth won't be available in Lié's dropdown list for hosted plug-ins, and the presets made for it can't be loaded. The plug-in scanning procedure is explained here: Scanning your VST plug-ins inside Lié Standalone
Download of the preset pack
- Log into your Expressive E customer account and click on 'My Downloads and Serials'
- Scroll down to 'Software Presets' and find the download button for the preset pack you are interested in. Download the *.zip-file.
Moving the presets to the right folder
- Extract the *.zip file. It contains a folder which is named after the synth the presets were made for.
- Open the preset directory that is scanned by Lié. The easiest way to open this folder is by launching Lié and going to Menu -> Preset Library -> 'Open preset folder'. Finder or Explorer will open, showing the main preset folder. Open the 'Presets' folder and open its subfolder 'Software Presets'. If it doesn't exist yet, create a new subfolder named 'Software Presets'.
- Move the folder that you extracted before into this 'Software Presets' folder. Just to doublecheck, on a Mac, the complete path should read
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Presets/ExpressiveE/Lie/Presets/Software Presets/*nameofsynth*
On a PC, it will be
This PC\Documents\ExpressiveE\Lie\Presets\Software Presets\*nameofsynth*
Refreshing the preset list in Lié
- In Lié, click on Menu -> Preset Library -> 'Refresh preset list'. Alternatively, you could also just relaunch Lié. The preset base is scanned upon each startup.
- The presets will now be available in Lié's browser. Filter by Instrument to easily find them. Double-click on a preset to open it.
Notice: All presets in Lié's browser are available as individual *.tem files in the preset folder you had accessed with Finder or Explorer before. It actually doesn't matter which subfolder of the main preset folder a preset file is placed in, it will be scanned in any case. Using a structure of subfolders will however help you keeping an overview, should you want to delete presets in the future.